Benefits of Noncontact IR Temperature Measurement
- It is fast (in the millisecond range) – saving time and allowing for more measurements and data accumulation.
- It facilitates measurement of moving targets i.e. conveyor processes.
- Measurements can be taken of hazardous or physically inaccessible objects i.e. high-voltage parts or large measurement distances.
- Measurements of high temperatures (above 1300°C/2375°F) present no problems. Contact thermometers often cannot be used in such conditions.
- There is no interference as no energy is lost from the target.
- Noncontact temperature measurement is wearfree – there is no risk of contamination and no mechanical effect on the surface of the object.
Infrared technology has been utilized successfully in industry for decades, but new developments have reduced costs, increased reliability, and resulted in smaller, noncontact infrared measurement devices.